Sometimes life has a way of surprising you. Here’s an example of one of life’s surprise that I wouldn’t wish upon my worst enemy: A Last minute move. For whatever reason, you need to relocate….in the next week or two. Uhoh! Don’t panic just yet because although there are (way too) many things to think about when planning a last minute move, we are here to help you! Print and check off these items as you accomplish them and you will be very well prepared for your move. Take a deep breath! This will all be over sooner than you think.
- Schedule a moving company if you plan to use one.
- If you plan on packing by yourself, get a move on things!
- If you live in and/or are moving to an apartment building with elevators, make sure to reserve them.
- Get help from a friend, neighbor, or family member! This is what they’re here for
- If you plan on having the movers pack your things- go through the stuff and see what you want to move, what you want to throw out. The more things you throw out- the cheaper and easier your move will be!
- Label your boxes (“Fragile”, “Kitchen” etc.)
- Put jewelry, electronics, and valuable items in a separate place for you to move yourself
- Forward all prescriptions to the local drug store in your new neighborhood
- Return all borrowed items (library books, rental movies)
- Empty your lawn mower, snow blower, or any other gasoline run machines.
- Notify your bank, credit card, and other important people of your new address
- If you’re moving with young children, hire a babysitter to help you while you’re packing and most importantly on moving day
- Cancel all services in your home (internet, TV, phone) and schedule re-installation in your new home. Try to plan it so you have these set up before you move in.
- Pack a bag for each member of the family with important things like a change of clothes, pajamas, toiletries, phone chargers, diapers for babies…the essentials. Keep the bags in the car with you so you have easy access to such things when you arrive
- Don’t buy anything online that will ship to your current home- it may arrive after you leave your current home