This is a great guide for staying organized during your move. Relocating is stressful as it is- you definitely don’t want to add fuel to the fire. Keeping organized during your move will make the experience 100 times better! Trust me on this one.
Start by giving yourself time! You should begin the process at least 1 month prior to moving. You definitely don’t want to wait for last minute.
1) Create a moving folder. This folder should, at the least, include:
- Quotes from a few moving companies (if you plan on hiring movers)
- A packing schedule if you’re going to be packing yourself. Start room by room. And begin with the items you won’t need any time soon (out of season clothes for example). Most importantly, remember, slow and steady wins the race!
2) If you plan to pack yourself, go through your belongings and trash/give away whatever you can. The less stuff you have to move the more organized you can be.
3) Label your boxes!!!! The simplest, possibly most helpful organizational tip is to label boxes by room. This way you can have the correct boxes placed in their appropriate rooms It will make unpacking a million times easier!
4) If disassembling the furniture yourself, put all appropriate hardware in a bag and tape it to the items being disassembled.
Hopefully these easy steps will help you in staying organized and calm during your upcoming move. For any additional questions please feel free to contact us at 202-570-7220.